Sorry…. just couldn’t help but vent a little at all the anti-Beckham, soccer haters out there.
– Two words: No pads!
– Two more: No helmets!!
– No huddles for soccer players, no standing around and wasting time lineing up before each play.
– Soccer = spontaneous creativity, Am. Football = memorized repitition.
– You need a good memory for Am. football. You need intelligence for soccer.
– Players are in better shape, run an average of 10-15 miles per match. Am. football players don’t run that much in a week of practice.
– Players in soccer play both ways. Am. Football needs a fresh 11 men for offense or defense.
– Limited substitutions in soccer. Players in Am. football suck on oxygen tanks between series and substitue liberally.
– No time outs in soccer.
– No instant replay in soccer
– If there’s an injury or time wasting by one team in soccer, the ref makes you play longer each half.
– No play clock in soccer…. you want the ball? Come get it if you can.
– Only 1 ref on the field in soccer. You have a team of refs and press box officials running a Am. football game.
– No steroids in soccer.
– No freakish size players in soccer. Small players can play just as well as large ones. Size is irrelevant.
– Soccer actually requires use of the foot…… Am. football only uses the foot for a few plays a game.
– Most kickers in Am. football come from soccer because they are the only ones who know how to actually kick a ball.
– No commercial breaks in a soccer match.
– No lame two minute warning so everyone can catch their breath….. (how stupid is this contrived event?)
– Soccer matches are generally more competitive, no blowouts like in Am. football.
– You can jump into (TV) a soccer game late and still enjoy it If you miss something early in an Am. football game…. you probably have missed the critical, game deciding moments.
– Therefore goals are more exciting and meaningful. TDs have a handicap of 6 points versus 1.
– Soccer is played in every country in the world. Am. football is only in a handful.
– Better international tournaments and “World Championships.” Not just one game a year.
– Pro soccer teams play regular season games, domestic, and international tournaments all during the same season.
– 50-60+ games a year in pro soccer. Only a maximum of 19 in the NFL….(if you get to the SuperBowl)
– Season for pro soccer lasts from August to April (9 months.) NFL only last 4.5 months (if your team gets to the playoffs)
– No playoffs in regular season soccer! Every game counts towards the season championship!
– Soccer only requires a ball and a goal to play. Football requires a ball, a goal, pads, a helmet, etc.
– Soccer players don’t come on the field with weapons…..i.e. the helmet to hit someone with.
– Only 12-15 minutes of action in Am. football game. Almost a full 90 minutes of action in a soccer match.
– Soccer requires skill at every position. Am. football players require only brute force.
– All players in a soccer match touch the football. Only a few touch the ball in Am. football and then only 1-2 touch it per play most of the time.
– Soccer players can’t use their hands on the field. Football players can use anything and still can’t keep the ball sometimes.
– Soccer is a sport which can be technical in play like the Germans or magical like the Brazilians.
– Soccer is a sport which elicits a chant & fervour from the audience that is unmatched by any other sport.
– Soccer is a sport which does not need a high score to make up for a low IQ.
– Soccer games end usually in less than 2 hours. Am. football takes at least 3-4 hours to play.
– No halftime shows in soccer! (Thank God!)
– Yellow Cards > Yellow hankys
– Some nations declare holidays for soccer events. The SuperBowl is held on a Sunday in order to get the largest audience.